SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
DOMESTIC_Disturbance
DOMESTIC_Disturbance is on a distinguished road

Question Advanced Audio System wiring.....

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the AAS systems in the L300s? And I don't think they have RCA outs on the back of them, is that correct? I am trying to attach one 12" sub to my factory setup. I was thinking of piggy-backing it off of the factory woofer in ther rear deck. Any ideas or advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DOMESTIC_Disturbance's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DOMESTIC_Disturbance reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
keith92
keith92 is on a distinguished road

just get an amp with a line out conversion, you hook that right up to your rear speakers, and boom, there ya go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keith92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keith92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
DOMESTIC_Disturbance

I think it takes a certain type of LOC to do that because of the amp in the factory system. Your LOC has to be able to convert the amplified signal down properly before pushing in on to the amp for the new sub.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DOMESTIC_Disturbance reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
bbriand
bbriand is on a distinguished road

It hasn't been updated in a while but I always find this FAQ to be well worth the read and as a reference:
Car Audio FAQ

I would be careful splicing in a sub direct off one of your rear speakers for the following reasons (anyone please feel free to correct me):
1. if you wire it in parallel then you may drop the ohms below what your deck can safely drive - possibly damaging the deck. Conversly if you wire it in series then your sound output volume from those 2 speakers will be noticeablly lowered (I guess you could compensate with fader and balance controls).

2. you'll need at least a low pass filter or else the highs may destroy your sub (highs being frequencies over 150-200 Hz).

My personal preference is to have my sub do the lows, my mids to the mids and my tweets do the highs. I would at least try to get the lows out of my midrange woofers with a high pass crossover.

If you want the schematics I have found my Saturn Dealer at least to be very helpfull for wiring diagrams. They even turned their heads while I photocopied some pages from the technical references. I would try your Saturn dealer first.

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbriand's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbriand reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #5
Bigbadbert
Bigbadbert is on a distinguished road

You can go to an audio store and get an input/output you can wire on to your deck for your rcas, and since you have a sub already, there should at least be a small amp. If there is, just splice into that remote wire to use for your new amp. I dont know much about the L300 wiring or anything...I just know what Ive done to mine. It shouldnt be that hard to do. But if by piggy backin, you mean running speaker wires from the factory sub to new one, most likely it will sound like crap, cuz I doubt there will be enough amperage to push both subs sufficiently, most likely causing damage to both.

'01 SC2 - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigbadbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigbadbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2003, 05:37 AM   #6
dmccreary860
Advanced Member
dmccreary860 is on a distinguished road

DD:

I put a little self-powered tube sub in the trunk of my L300.

I connected wires to the stock sub in the rear in parallel, and ran them down to the amplifier on my tube sub. My sub had a built-in line-level convertor that takes the powered signal and drops it down for use as an input to be powered by the amp.

That's it. Because I like to go racing and need to take out the weight, I wired my sub with one plug where I can connect/disconnect quickly. Running the power and/or signal wires were the most difficult....

This WILL NOT put an extra load on your stock amp if you do it this way. If you take it somewhere to have it professionally installed, they will do the same if your deck doesn't have pre-amp outputs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmccreary860's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmccreary860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
DOMESTIC_Disturbance

DMC:

Thank A LOT!! That is exactly what I plan on doing, only I'm using a single 12" sub instead of a tube. Time to go amp shopping.......

BTW, please drop me a line, I want to know more about some of your mods and pick your brain a little.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2003, 12:22 PM   #8
dmccreary860
Advanced Member

No problem, but I'm leaving for three (or four) weeks tomorrow.

I have company training (wife and I are being flown in the company jet to the exotic locale of Pittsburgh for two weeks), and then I'm gonna take about a week or two of vacation to chill.

I'll take my laptop and my wife's for training, but after that I don't plan on touching them!

Good luck with your install - I'm sure it will sound good!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dmccreary860 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
playboyroy
playboyroy is on a distinguished road

You will need a better amp for any 12. I think the factory sub size is a 6.5 woofer. I recommend a high-output to RCA converter ($20) and running a new amp for your 12. www.etronics.com has alot of stereo stuff for all price range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to playboyroy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help playboyroy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #10
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member
RustyJCNC is on a distinguished road

Run the RCA converter from the rear sub. I have my Rockford Amp running through the rear channel sub to the 12".

This allows you to have 2 subs (relatively). That way they both "hit" consistently. Also, this also eliminates running high frequencies to the sub, so it won't blow.

It works nicely for a "rigged" setup. Getting a new deck is the way to go, but this works pretty well as is.

-j

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RustyJCNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RustyJCNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2003, 02:42 AM   #11
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

Hey dmccreary860!

I'm from Pittsburgh!

You're just jealous 'cuz everything is cheaper in PA than CT, we don't pay tax on clothing, and radar detectors are allowed here!

Hehe.

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
dmccreary860
Advanced Member

I know! I've never been to Pittsburgh and am looking forward to it. If my company relocated me to Pittsburgh (good chance of that), my wife and I would be pretty happy.

I'm from the Midwest, and am used to the nicer, newer cities, less expensive real estate, lower taxes, etc. CT pisses me off with high air pollution, high taxes, crappy roads, the governor, and the list goes on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #13
JButler1983
JButler1983 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm looking to find out which wire is the factory "amp remote wire" for a 2003 L200. I have a sub and amp I am looking to hook-up to my factory 6-disc SAAS head-unit.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JButler1983's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JButler1983 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:31 PM   #14
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The remote wire is usually blue. Poke it with a voltmeter, should be +12v powered up, off when it's off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread