SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
ch3no2
ch3no2 is on a distinguished road

Default PCM? What else could it possibly be?

I have a '94 SL1 with a 5 speed manual trans that at first glance appears to have the classic Saturn high idle (1200 -1400 rpm) except that it refuses to be fixed. Instead of posting the entire horror story which would take more space then most would care to read I will skip the 6 months of code reading etc. and will list breifly what has been replaced or done. Hopefully someone will see something I have missed. Replaced....ECTS (twice), ECTS wiring, thermostat, TPS, IAC, EGR valve, EGR solenoid, Intake gasket, MAP sensor and most vacuum lines. Labor.....Proved there are no vacuum leaks by using a smoke machine, removed and cleaned throttle body, Cleaned or replaced every connection at sensors.
None of the sensors were replaced without having a code indicating it to be a problem at the time. I did find multiple vacuum leaks at first but to my suprise fixing them didn't help at all. The idle does sometimes go higher and stay there untill I come to a complete stop. IDoes anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to test the PCM?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ch3no2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ch3no2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ch3no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: PCM? What else could it possibly be?

Find a cheap junkyard & pick up a compatible PCM & swap it to see what happens. Bad PCMs are rare, but possible.

*edit* another thought - the idle is controlled by the PCM through the idle air control valve. You could unplug the IAC in the fully closed position and see if it still idles high.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wouldn't it be easier to block the little hole in front of the throttle plate? The one that provides supplemental air for the idle air control valve (IACV)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to block the little hole in front of the throttle plate? The one that provides supplemental air for the idle air control valve (IACV)?
Why? If the OP's statement implies that the idle returns to normal when the car comes to a stop, it's running perfectly, and there's nothing to "test".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If it is not broke, don't fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
ch3no2
ch3no2 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post. The idle is never normal. When stopped it is at 1200 - 1400 rpm. It is sometimes higher than that, up to 2200 rpm untill I come to a complete stop, then it will go back down to 1200 - 1400 rpm. I did block off the port for the IAC but the idle didn't change. This made me think there has to be air getting in somewhere, but I couldn't find a vacuum leak and the smoke machine couldn't either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ch3no2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ch3no2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ch3no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3no2 View Post
The idle does sometimes go higher and stay there untill I come to a complete stop.
This is normal. If the idle is 800-ish when the car is not moving, and 1200-1400 when the car is coasting, it's idling exactly as it was designed and built to do when it rolled out of the overhead door at Spring Hill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote