SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Choronodon
Choronodon is on a distinguished road

Default 06 Ion 3 stuck ignition lock cylinder - can't remove

Hope someone can help me with this. The ignition lock cylinder on my 2006 Ion 3 has frozen in the run position. I can turn the key past run to the start position, but cannot turn it back to accessory or off. The dealership quoted me $600+ to fix, which I can't afford right now. I have a Chilton's guide for the 2003 - 2007 Ion line, and I tried used the process they detail for removing the lock cylinder (briefly, turn key to run, press first detent, press second detent, press first detent again). The cylinder can be withdrawn about one inch after following that process, but can't be withdrawn any further. Seems I'm getting stuck on something. Am I doing something wrong? Anything else I can try?

I've hunted all over google in the last couple of days, and searched through the forum. Found plenty of info on frozen cylinders, but nothing addressing how to remove a cylinder lock that won't come out. Any help would be great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Choronodon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Choronodon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Choronodon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Choronodon
Choronodon is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 06 Ion 3 stuck ignition lock cylinder - can't remove

Finally got the cylinder out. So the proper removal process is more like
1) depress the first (front) detent. the cylinder should move the tiniest bit
2) depress the second (back) detent. the cylinder should come out about an inch
3) you need to depress the first (front) detent again. If the catch is not lined up with the hole, you will need to adjust the cylinder until they line up. If the spring retention plate is not staying flush with the cylinder body (mine wasn't), it will probably bind on the cylinder housing, preventing you from turning the cylinder. You should be able to hold the retetion plate closed with a fingertip, allowing you to turn the cylinder. It's somewhat of a trial and error process.

So I got the cylinder out, carefully removed the tumblers from the cylinder, noting their position and code. Used that information to build the new cylinder that I purchased, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to close the tumbler retention plate on the new cylinder. The instructions say "Secure by moving cylinder material over edges of the retainer with either a flat screwdrive or center punch on each of the four corners over the ends of the retainer." I've tried doing that, but the cylinder metal doesn't seem very inclined to budge. Any tips?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Choronodon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Choronodon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Choronodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

get a bigger hammer.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

You actually dont need a new cylinder to fix this, but if you have a new one allready use it. The tumbler plate is kept down with a drop of super glue at each corner...no joke. take the key out when you glue it so the tumblers are not pushing up on the plate. Just dont put to much glue or the cylinder wont work. A picture would help to show you but I dont have any. $600 quote from dealer must have been a whole new housing. They are idiots if they cant fix these cylinders without replacing housings.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Riglpo
Riglpo is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: 06 Ion 3 stuck ignition lock cylinder - can't remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2QWK View Post
You actually dont need a new cylinder to fix this, but if you have a new one allready use it. The tumbler plate is kept down with a drop of super glue at each corner...no joke. take the key out when you glue it so the tumblers are not pushing up on the plate. Just dont put to much glue or the cylinder wont work. A picture would help to show you but I dont have any. $600 quote from dealer must have been a whole new housing. They are idiots if they cant fix these cylinders without replacing housings.
To anyone who reads this the above mentioned solution totally works! I was having the same problem: car wouldn't shut off because the key wouldn't turn to the off position. I was quoted $500 by the GM dealer who told me I had to replace the lock cylinder and housing. As described above the plate over the tumblers was prohibiting the lock cylinder from turning inside of the housing. I simply bent the plate slightly so that it stuck on its own then put a very small dab of super glue on each side, let dry, then reinstalled it. It works like a charm!

Also, the removal method (alternating between the two slots) lifted above also works like a charm. Thanks for posting this you guys, it saved me a lot of time, trouble, and money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Riglpo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Riglpo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Riglpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

glad it worked for you and you didnt have to pay the dealer.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2QWK View Post
I want to clarify what's going on here. Again, this is best handled by the dealership as part of the ignition switch & cylinder recalls.

When you get the cylinder out of the housing, there are some parts that may be difficult to identify. The part that is being discussed above is a small metal plate that covers the springs. This wasn't intuitive to me immediately because it looked like the little metal plate was SUPPOSED to hinge and that the springs were just trying to escape. It's NOT suppoed to be hinged. Press it down with all the springs in place and hold. Insert the key and note that the bar opposite of the springs & plate should recess (or expand - I can't remember, but it's opposite of when the key is in). If this happens, things are good and you can CAREFULLY superglue the plate in place.

Now, I don't think that will affect the heavy-FOB-turning-off-the-ignition-while-driving recall, but at least you can turn the key cylinder in the lock.

It's been a couple of years since anyone has posted about this here, so I hope it's a non-issue now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
auntbonnie86
auntbonnie86 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: 06 Ion 3 stuck ignition lock cylinder - can't remove

This is the part I am not understanding---- depress the front detent? What is a detent and where do I find it? This whole paragraPH I dont understand because of the vocabulary Im not familiar with. Can some one please help me? 27/f in need of serious help! Thanks

"1) depress the first (front) detent. the cylinder should move the tiniest bit
2) depress the second (back) detent. the cylinder should come out about an inch
3) you need to depress the first (front) detent again. "

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auntbonnie86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auntbonnie86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
auntbonnie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
auntbonnie86
auntbonnie86 is on a distinguished road

Also, I have a 2005 saturn ion 1. Purchased a new key lock cylinder because i cannot put my car key in far enough to start the car... it goes to the ACC then to the II looking mark and it wont turn past that mark to the "C" looking symbol to start I just had a new key made to see if it would work. No... So now I have the part to change out but dont know how to remove the existing key lock cylinder

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auntbonnie86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auntbonnie86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
auntbonnie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
mdm
mdm is on a distinguished road

Hi - just about to glue down the retention plate - hope it works. So far all you've said has been accurate.

I have an improvement on ideas about what to do at first when your Saturn (2006 Ion 3 in my case) key won't turn off leaving the engine running. Open the fuse box cover on the driver side - near your right leg when sitting in the seat - pull from the front first working towards the center of the car. In my case the 2A Ignition Module fuse was at the bottom left - pull it out - car stops.

Rather than go to the trunk and unhook the battery I went to the main fuse box in the engine compartment. I removed the fuse box cover - very easy by pushing the tabs at the two ends - it lifts off and with a bit of wiggling it comes free. I looked on the inside of the fuse box cover where it has labels for all the fuses. I found the 40A fuse that said Ignition 1 - pulled it out. The car went silent on the dash. Seems that fuse is the route past the key which is the whole idea anyhow - turn off the ignition switch. Just to test I put the 2A and 40A fuses back in - car starts up just fine (the next morning too - so it wasn't draining any power).

Now to get back to gluing down that retention plate and seeing if the "free" fix works. Crazy Glue is always trouble - might use a toothpick to be very careful about where it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
cire602
cire602 is on a distinguished road

Default Same problem

im having a similar problem but on my car i cant move the lock cylinder to any postion it just stays in the off and im trying to remove it to put a new one but i cant remove it cause it only stays in that postion. Can anyone help me out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cire602's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cire602 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cire602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan

This can be fixed with the recall. I know this thread started before the recall, but for those searching google and landing here, here was my final disposition (including how to shut the car off):

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=61

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote