SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Flashback Friday: When GM Gave Birth to Saturn

A new story entry has been added:

Flashback Friday: When GM Gave Birth to Saturn

Quote:
ABC News looked back on its evening news telecast from July 26, 1985 when GM announced construction of the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Flashback Friday: When GM Gave Birth to Saturn

LMFAO!!!

You guys HAVE to watch the video if you haven't already.

The "prototype" Saturn they show isn't an S-series car at all.

Instead, I'd swear it's a Chevy Corsica with the nose of a Mercury Tracer slapped onto it.

Check it out for yourselves.

All I can say is good thing Saturn didn't follow through with this design or we'd be talking about the demise of Saturn 3 years after its launch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
LMFAO!!!

You guys HAVE to watch the video if you haven't already.

The "prototype" Saturn they show isn't an S-series car at all.

Instead, I'd swear it's a Chevy Corsica with the nose of a Mercury Tracer slapped onto it.

Check it out for yourselves.

All I can say is good thing Saturn didn't follow through with this design or we'd be talking about the demise of Saturn 3 years after its launch.
With the exception of the front clip and headlights, I thought it much resembled the first gen sedan right down to the wheel design.

It's probably because I was a toddler when that report was recorded, but I never realized the introduction of Saturn was that big of a deal. People were putting even up billboards and begging Saturn to pick their location.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
With the exception of the front clip and headlights, I thought it much resembled the first gen sedan right down to the wheel design.
Sammy Davis Jr & Jackie Gleason look a lot a like as well, practically brothers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
SalemCat
SalemCat will become famous soon enough

Default When Saturn lost its soul

I remember 1985 quite well.

And the one BIG thing Saturn emphasized was INNOVATION.

With the plastic bodies, no one could deny Saturns were different.

When the plastic disappeared, Saturn became just another car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
hit_n_run
hit_n_run is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm just an idiot but I cannot find the link to the video....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hit_n_run's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hit_n_run reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hit_n_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
bstaugh
bstaugh is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I was a member of the first Dealership Management training session in Spring Hill in June of 1990. The instructor was Dora Ann Sanchez Mead and she was awesome. They introduced us to a video called "Spring in Spring Hill" which documented the development of the Saturn project. I used that tape with every employee that I hired for the next 14 years. Still have a copy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bstaugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bstaugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bstaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Hear ya there, SalemCat, a sentiment that is shared by many. Had they left well enough alone, there's a good chance Saturn would still be here, and a strong contributor to GM's coffers. The designs, facility, and all were paid off in 1994. With a freshening up of the interior and exterior trim every once in a while, and the never ending engineering changes to emissions parts, the S could still be in production today. So many people just loved the S car and how straightforward it was, and still want new ones to replace their high mileage, aging ones...which are often handed down to another family member because they still run, drive, and look fine. What shocked me was when GM decided to replace the J body platform and did not go to copies of the S series. With all the advantages of a true spaceframe with polymer panels, that would have been an easy interchange, since you can literally drive one of these around with no body on it. Make your interior and outer skins Chevy or whatever, and still have all the selling points. I do like my Ion, but in total sum I would rather be driving a 2004 SC2. The Vue was a good addition to the line, but from there, it all sort of led to the reasoning that GM and their reinholders used to ultimately kill us. At least they got use of us as a public testbed, but all the publicity fanfare heaped upon the 2008 Malibu for winning NA Car of the Year and the Aura doing so a year before without but one commercial comes to mind as an indicator of where the resources were allotted. Not that we were ever a glitzy type of outfit, but still...

Guess when "different" could not be left what it was, it joined the rest in front of the firing line. Funny how you heard the government say they did not want GM to keep doing "business as usual" after taking money. They had a division that didn't, had loyal customers who, even after they forced us away from our solid, utilitarian, easy-to-own roots kept coming back and buying whatever we had to offer, but still chose to pitch all the enthusiasm they earned through a good product and fair, straightforward interaction with customers. And every single S was made right here in the USA, something that is now back in fashion...

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

LOL, the people whining about not going to be a quiet area anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
bobc455
bobc455 will become famous soon enough

I seem to remember that one of the great innovations was that you only needed 23 tools, then you could repair anything on the car.

I never could find a list of those tools, though.

-BC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobc455's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobc455 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobc455 is offline   Reply With Quote