SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Jill Lajdziak: We are Still Saturn

A new story entry has been added:

Jill Lajdziak: We are Still Saturn

Quote:
A letter from Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak: From our very beginning, Saturn has always sought a better way. We pioneered no haggle-no hassle shopping, built dent-resistant cars, set a new benchmark for customer service and forged a unique relationship with our retailers, workers and customers. From the beginning, Saturn was launched as a "Different kind of Car Company." Well, here we go again. You may have read that General Motors delivered a plan to the U.S. government that outlined the corporation's plan for long term viability. In that plan, GM stated that Saturn would work with its retailers to investigate options for the future of the Saturn brand. We said that all ideas were on the table and we meant it.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Jill Lajdziak: We are Still Saturn

I just got Jill's e-mail, it says it was sent at 4:44 am. Glad I'm not the only night owl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Germane German's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Germane German reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

The wife just got her e-mail & forwarded it to me.

After reading it, it took 7 paragraphs to tell me absolutely nothing. What I would like to know is why Jill thinks this such "an exciting time at the Saturn brand."

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

And the band played on....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Is the "Fat Lady Singing" again?

I hate it when someone takes 7 paragraphs to say something they can in 7 sentences or words...

I wonder what cars they will sell from other manufacturers that will make enough money to keep the company afloat?

Today every original car manufacturer are having a hard time keeping their heads above water...

Sounds like they want to do the same thing Suzuki has been doing. Possibly without the GM cars...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Pure marketing BS. A different kind of car company is 100% accurate - a car company that's not building what they sell - not the recipe for high quality or low cost in my opinion.

The best marketing that Saturn EVER had was it's loyal owners. Now that they've pissed this away they have nothing, absolutely nothing to recommend their products - or give us something to be loyal about.

Good luck and best wishes to the Saturn dealers and employees are left hanging while GM attempts to get their collective crap together.

Note to Jill - Don't drag the (once) proud Saturn nameplate down any further. Pick another name for your "Kinda Really Different Kind of Car Company". I recommend you try "Uranus". You can sucker a lot of 16 year olds in with the tag line "Come and check out Uranus!".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
And the captain asked that all the bags of bar snacks on the ship should be put onto the starboard rail to counteract the 10 degree list to port.

Rah rah.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: Jill Lajdziak: We are Still Saturn

Quote:
…while the deck chairs were being rearranged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Roll Eyes Re: Jill Lajdziak: We are Still Saturn

A different kind of car company… yeah, one that doesn't have any cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

This reminds me of the movie Animal House where the Kevin Bacon ROTC pledge charactor near the end is pleading "everything is fine, calm down, etc." as he is being trampled by the mob.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

The only thing I can think of is a not so famous quote....

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
SuperSaturnMan
SuperSaturnMan is on a distinguished road

Right now Saturn is a great process behind a badge, nothing more. Some harbor dreams that maybe, just maybe if some Chinese, Korean, French (oh please), or Italian company will ride in and put both the badge and process on cars and all will be well.

I would venture that most holding a torch for the next incarnation of Saturn, won't spend on a Kia, Hyundai or won't jump into just anything because it has "Saturn" painted, taped or screwed onto a fender. Hope is a good thing, but I am not buying into the continual disinformation that has been coming from GM, the FOT and yes, Jill.

This whole process is now no more than a show for the consumer and the dealers. I do not discount the chance that some Chinese company would buy the badge, but I doubt all the dealers are going to jump onto that bandwagon if it could get rolling in time to save their businesses. Clearly some would take a chance that new cars, the ability to service them and access to parts in a timely manner will work.

On the other hand, I doubt Opel could stand alone here. There is no need for another supplier of anything. We are looking at a 10.1 million car market, possibly for the next 2 to 4 years or longer. So people that talk about Saturn's survival, including GM, the FOT, and Jill, seem to forget to mention where, in a shrinking market, the numbers are going to come from to support a new company. Remember, Saturn is going away because GM has to adjust to the current real world status and even make a profit.

The only reasonable way for Saturn to survive in my opinion is if it remains part of GM and replaces both Buick and Pontiac. I'd kill of GMC as well. If they want Chinese Saturns, let them make a domestic Chinese car and call it Saturn, Buick or whatever, who really cares. The new GM is going to reduce dealerships and most of those should be PBG stores and the rest can be converted to Saturn stores selling a line that starts with an Outlook and ends with a properly priced and properly Americanized series of rebadged Opels. For the Buick die-hards, I'd even recycle a couple of Buick names for the fun of it. Saturn Century works for me.

Otherwise, it is time to ignore the hot air being passed. As it is, there is a better chance for GM to be forced into bankruptcy than someone get a new, successful Saturn program launched anytime soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperSaturnMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperSaturnMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperSaturnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
IONfan2
IONfan2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SW2

This is such great news. Keep Saturn alive, Jill!!!!

I would personally like to see Saturn team up with Honda. How about a Honda Civic with a unique Saturn exterior and interior, polymer panels, but same engine and tranny options? Now, that would be a RELIABLE Saturn!!!

If not a Saturn Civic, let's hope someone decent teams up with Saturn.

My hopes are up again! Saturn still has a chance!!!!

2002 SC2 (78,000 miles) I LOVE my Saturn! =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONfan2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONfan2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
...most likely, "Midnight Calm"....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
DrMrLordX
DrMrLordX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As the helicopters whirred
Drunk on the lawn in a nuclear dawn
My senses finally blurred

He was a rock, to the end, a solid reminder
Couldn't deny a friend

We lived in the noise and the sweet amber poison

Peekin' up the skirt of the end

And we'd drink, two gnarly dudes and some records
Much like plates of black food

We filled up our faces, saw some far places

Stood on the roof in the nude

And the band played on

Between poles, he said "We're like cows in the grass"
Brushing off flies

Chaise lounging around, standing up, falling down

Till we no longer opened our eyes

And we'd drink, ever notice how drinking's like war?
Cup o' troops o'er the gums

To the end of our health, a campaign 'gainst myself

Armed with bourbons and scotches and rums

And the band played on

Think of bombs, we're poised on the edge of disaster
Whether it's right or it's wrong

We opened the window, played some Nintendo

Sang a few bars of some pretty old song:

Irene goodnight, Irene goodnight
Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene

I'll see you in my dreams

Oh to dream, those impotent bones of extinction
Flying graceful and free

None but the best 'cause the man cannot rest

Till he's finally beaten his me

And the band played on

Till the end, he passed out on the sundeck that morning
Quietly saying goodbye

But I was so hammered I sputtered and stammered

Told him he couldn't just die

He was a rock, went straight for his own Armageddon
Face froze in a grin

Ambulance flyin' in, I never drank again

Can't really call that a loss or a win

And the band played on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrMrLordX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrMrLordX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrMrLordX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
Kooler King
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMrLordX View Post

... And the band played on
wow, and I thought Hunter S. Thompson had gone on to that land where dead buffalo roam ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #17
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post

After reading it, it took 7 paragraphs to tell me absolutely nothing. What I would like to know is why Jill thinks this such "an exciting time at the Saturn brand."
there's nothing not to be excited about when you keep making your fat salary even though the company you manage is going down the drain
I'd be very excited too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post

Yeah, I saw the letter too. I agree. For you Josie Wales fans, it reminded me of the "Endeavor to persevere" story told by the old indian....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
Kooler King
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Yeah, I saw the letter too. I agree. For you Josie Wales fans, it reminded me of the "Endeavor to persevere" story told by the old indian....
yep, them boys sure looked sophisticated too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
jrdbert
jrdbert is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Saturn just seemed to be the ******* child nobody wanted the last few years. It's too bad because the dealership I have gone to was great.

For me, Saturn died the day they dropped the composite panels. It was already on the way out with mix and match drivelines. As an owner of a 2001 L300, thank God I may have someplace to get that seviced for the next couple of years, then it's to the trash heap for that.

Fortunately my 2004 Vue with the Honda driveline will have someplace to go for the next 50 years since Honda knows how to run a company.

I hope GM makes it. Have a 2007 Equinox in the driveway also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrdbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrdbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrdbert is offline   Reply With Quote