SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default April 2008 Sales Figures

A new story entry has been added:

April 2008 Sales Figures

Quote:
While Saturn's overall sales were down 15.5% to 16,888 units last month, sales of the brand's Aura midsize sedan and Vue sport-utility saw healthy increases from a year-over-year perspective.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: April 2008 Sales Figures

The reason behind the good sales.... Incentives.

$3000 2008 VUE - no hybrid
$2500 2008 Aura V6 - no hybrid
$1500 2008 Outlook
$1000 2008 Astra and SKY

Saturn didn't have incentives this high in 2006...

The 2008 VUE has consistently had high incentives. Saturn must have realized they overpriced it after the redesign...

Maybe I'm looking at the glass as being half empty, but the Astra seems to be in trouble.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Maybe I'm looking at the glass as being half empty, but the Astra seems to be in trouble.
Reminiscent of the AURA's launch, no? Few retail outlets + zero advertising = low sales. It's a simple equation.

Contrast that with the new Malibu. Lots of dealers + lots of advertising = lots of sales.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Reminiscent of the AURA's launch, no? Few retail outlets + zero advertising = low sales. It's a simple equation.

Contrast that with the new Malibu. Lots of dealers + lots of advertising = lots of sales.
Apple to apple... Not pulling up the old sales reports, but on the worse months the Aura was selling 3-4k units...

GM cannot afford a large advertisiing campaign on this car because they're most likely selling the car at a loss because of the value of the dollar. Having incentives on this new of car is a SOS signal...

I was behind a Malibu yesterday, Chevrolet has done a good job with the Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
The Malibu should be higher but the economy went to pot just as the car came out. Killed the Outlook sales too.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
The Malibu should be higher but the economy went to pot just as the car came out. Killed the Outlook sales too.
The Enclave has been breathing life into Buick dealers, the Acadia has been doing great (even with the funky tail lights).

The Outlook would be doing better, but GM has two competitors to it. GM is just competing with itself.

Considering the direction that Bob Lutz wants Saturn to go, IMO the Outlook doesn't fit into his business plan. It's not an Opel import, or unique model. This month it's only representing 18% of Lambda chassis sales...

Do you think GM will eventually cancel the Outlook?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
L100andSW2
L100andSW2 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1995 SW2

I don't think they would cancel the Outlook yet but that is a good question. Maybe more Euro Vue looks when time for restyling...then see how it goes.

Don't forget about the Chevy Traverse coming out later this year, ironically from Spring Hill. Assuming this will be the lowest price volume leader, I could see many consumers forgetting that Saturn also has the Outlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L100andSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L100andSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L100andSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Do you think GM will eventually cancel the Outlook?
I figure no more Outlook in 2010

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

+1. Unlike the Aura, the Astra is hamstrung by limited volume due to importing short-term. In spite of the strategy, which could end up losing money due to the relation the weak dollar has with the euro, sales have gone up each month. In fairness, GM did not expect to sell Astras in Cobalt-like quantities.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

When will the s-series fascination end already?

Yes I owned one, and yes it was good on gas, and yes it looked nice too. That's where it ended. S-series cars were competitive at the time, but these days, cars aren't just A to B transportation anymore. People like to look at fit-n-finish, build quality, standard features, available options, price comparisons, etc. The s-series cars were absolutely fine for those consumers who did not care about build quality, who did not care about having the most refined vehicle in its class. Unfortunately, those consumers are diminishing by the butt-load each and every year.

S-series cars were loud, burned oil, LOOKED unrefined due to the polymer, and were simply too vanilla compared to what else was out there. When the OTHER automakers are all turning out class-leading vehicles, you can't have a modern-day s-series vehicle to be in the competition. It just won't work anymore. Cars have gotten too fancy, a stigmata that the s-series couldn't grow into even if GM and Saturn wanted it to.

Let the thought of bringing back the s-series simply disappear. It won't ever happen, nor would the idea be a good one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnd00d View Post
LOOKED unrefined due to the polymer...
I don't buy that part. I don't think people look at an S Series, L Series, or first generation VUE and think anything looks unusual. I'm sure the average person wouldn't notice the difference if the panels were metal instead of plastic. Personally, I'd rather have the slightly larger panel gaps in exchange for a dent free body. It certainly looks better in the long run than having unsightly dings on the car!

I liked that the S Series was built in the United States as well. I prefer to buy a car built by American workers, as it's increasingly difficult to support our middle class by buying American made goods these days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Cars have gotten too fancy, a stigmata that the s-series couldn't grow into even if GM and Saturn wanted it to.
Why couldn't it? The Civic and Corolla certainly have!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:

Yes I owned one, and yes it was good on gas, and yes it looked nice too. That's where it ended. S-series cars were competitive at the time, but these days, cars aren't just A to B transportation anymore. People like to look at fit-n-finish, build quality, standard features, available options, price comparisons, etc. The s-series cars were absolutely fine for those consumers who did not care about build quality, who did not care about having the most refined vehicle in its class. Unfortunately, those consumers are diminishing by the butt-load each and every year.

S-series cars were loud, burned oil, LOOKED unrefined due to the polymer, and were simply too vanilla compared to what else was out there. When the OTHER automakers are all turning out class-leading vehicles, you can't have a modern-day s-series vehicle to be in the competition. It just won't work anymore. Cars have gotten too fancy, a stigmata that the s-series couldn't grow into even if GM and Saturn wanted it to.

Let the thought of bringing back the s-series simply disappear. It won't ever happen, nor would the idea be a good one.
Well said man. I agree. Nothing wrong with the S-Series, but it's days are over now.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:

Well said. EXTREMELY well said.

To quote Car & Driver re: The S Series introduction and whether or not Saturn had met the objective of meeting the imports head on: "Almost".And that is as close as Saturn ever got.

Love the cars but they're about 20% product, 10% service and 70% hype. The rest is mythology, belief and legend.Sort of like a religious fanatcism, sorry to say.

I love both my Saturns, but I know the difference between hype and reality.

GM has not and [never will it seems] "get it" re: small cars. Look what they think of the entry level buyer: The AVEO. Cobalt rotting on the vine since introduction. Just like the last Gen Cavalier.

But according to Lutz and Wagoner, GM is not being run the way it used to. Right.And once again they're caught with their pants down.

Suddenly it's 1973 all over again.

Last edited by Citation84; 05-08-2008 at 09:52 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #15
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

Quote:
I think you're right. 909 Astras sold? Ten years ago, Saturn was selling 20,000+ S-series per month.

GM couldn't have picked a worse time to import a small car from Europe, given the weak dollar. They can't afford to offer incentives on the Astra or they'll lose their shirts.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
The reason behind the good sales.... Incentives.

$3000 2008 VUE - no hybrid
$2500 2008 Aura V6 - no hybrid
$1500 2008 Outlook
$1000 2008 Astra and SKY

Saturn didn't have incentives this high in 2006...

The 2008 VUE has consistently had high incentives. Saturn must have realized they overpriced it after the redesign...

Living in a college town, the youngsters are all over my Astra...They come up and ask me about it all the time, most know its a rebadged Opel... I'd just give it alittle time, if you have the younger crowd interested the Astra should be fine...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I think it would be a major mistake for GM to cancel the Outlook. The new VUE simply isn't big enough for customers who need a larger vehicle and want to remain with Saturn.

I believe Astra sales will eventually increase based on the car's attractive appearance. I do wish however that Saturn would have engineered the Astra to have greater fuel efficiency. For a car whose performance emphasizes handling over power, it's current MPGs are not good enough with gas at $4.00 per gallon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
I think it would be a major mistake for GM to cancel the Outlook. The new VUE simply isn't big enough for customers who need a larger vehicle and want to remain with Saturn.

I believe Astra sales will eventually increase based on the car's attractive appearance. I do wish however that Saturn would have engineered the Astra to have greater fuel efficiency. For a car whose performance emphasizes handling over power, it's current MPGs are not good enough with gas at $4.00 per gallon.
Maybe the next VUE redesign can cut the weight and put back the space and more. i.e. The Ford Escape was always smaller than the VUE, but had more room. It can be done.

The Outlook was in the pipeline before Bob Lutz redefined Saturn's new direction. Saturn needs to focus on their core business, and not try and be the car company for everybody. It's spreading Saturn too thin and not providing results.

The Astra would have been better with two powerplant choices. Performance and economy. It worked very well with the s-series. The one size fits all philosophy is going to disappoint buyers and doom the car to fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Saturn needs to focus on their core business, and not try and be the car company for everybody. It's spreading Saturn too thin and not providing results.

The Astra would have been better with two powerplant choices. Performance and economy. It worked very well with the s-series. The one size fits all philosophy is going to disappoint buyers and doom the car to fail.
Quite frankly I have no idea what Saturn considers to be it's core business in 2008. Given the fact that they retired the ION before they had sufficient production capacity for another large sales volume small Saturn to replace it, they certainly can't believe that their primary product is still a sub-compact.

I agree that they should have several power plant choices for the Astra. I would think however that the current 1.8L Ecotec should be set up to be the economy choice. It certainly isn't gaining a reputation for power performance. I just don't think Astra's current fuel efficiency is good enough to attract the driver looking for high fuel economy. Economical highway mileage for a small car with moderate power should be 35 mpg at the very least IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Maybe the next VUE redesign can cut the weight and put back the space and more.
If they can design it so that all versions of the car take similar powerplants it will be easier to reduce weight. I don't think they need to make it any bigger though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!