SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy General Motors' 10 most significant cars

Check out number 7 on the list!

"General Motors' 10 most significant cars"
Quote:
1 of 10

Cadillac
Back when cars were started with a crank -- and arms were broken in the process - this Cadillac became the first one equipped with an electric self starter.

2 of 10

LaSalle
Early cars were assembled from engineering parts without any thought as to how they looked. GM hired stylist Harley Earle from Hollywood and he actually designed them, starting with the LaSalle.

3 of 10

Chevrolet Corvette
The first production car with a fiberglass body and first American sports car. The latest model, a 620-horsepower monster nicknamed "Blue Devil," was inspired by Duke grad CEO Rick Wagoner.

4 of 10

Chevrolet
With a peppy 265-cubic-inch V-8 and fresh streamlined styling, it created a new identity for this mainstream brand. More than 1.7 million Bel Airs and other models were sold the first year, making Chevy as American as baseball and apple pie.

5 of 10

Chevrolet Corvair
An innovative air-cooled, rear-engine car introduced to compete with Volkswagen's Beetle, the Corvair was attacked by Ralph Nader for its unstable rear suspension. It was discontinued in 1969, the first of several failed efforts at new technology.

6 of 10

Pontiac GTO
By dropping a 389-cubic-inch engine into a plain ordinary Tempest, engineer John Z. DeLorean created the first muscle car, exciting teenagers across the country and spawning a lot of bad popular music.

7 of 10

Saturn
Another GM effort to compete with the imports, Saturn represented a fresh start free of old encumbrances. Later it became a corporate orphan and languished for a decade until revived with products designed by Germany's Opel.

8 of 10

EV1
The first production battery electric car in decades, it was launched with great fanfare. GM learned a lot about electronics that it applied to later models. But the two-seat car was costly to build and its range was impractically limited; GM cancelled it in 2003.

9 of 10

Chevrolet Tahoe gas electric hybrid
The first rear-drive sport utility with a battery-powered motor, the beefy Tahoe gets the same city mileage as a small passenger car.

10 of 10

Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid
GM's latest try at the electric car, the Volt has batteries that can be recharged at home and a small gasoline engine to use as an emergency backup. It may represent the alternative fuel future until fuel cells reach production.

As of Aug 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 209K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 89K
∙ 2004 VUE, 96K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: General Motors' 10 most significant cars

Another article, related to this one, with regards to GM's turnaround...

I never cease to be amazed at how far GM has come under Rick Wagoner...
http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/07/news...tune/index.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

anyone else notice the 55 chev is a 56 , the saturn is a 91 and im 90 percent sure there was no 59 corvair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

Am I the only one that thinks the Volt looks a lot like the Saturn Curve concept?

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95SL1 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the Volt looks a lot like the Saturn Curve concept?
Now that you mention it...

They have similar proportions. Actually, I think the Volt look better than the Curve Concept. But those Volt pics are of the Volt Concept which will change as well and has changed already. There's several pics of hints and sneek peaks GM has given of what the production Volt will look like.

I'm not sure why the article gets the year wrong on some of the cars. I thought maybe they were going for year of introduction, but the rest of them are the model year.

I've seen one of those 1912 Cadillacs in person and I can say they are quite impressive.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95SL1 View Post
It's been bugging me for quite some time. I'd look at the Volt and wonder why it seemed so familiar.

2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
corsa
corsa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
anyone else notice the 55 chev is a 56 , the saturn is a 91 and im 90 percent sure there was no 59 corvair.
The Corvair was introduced in 1959, but as a 1960 model, so you are correct, there was no 1959 Corvair.

Check out my cars here: http://www.motortopia.com/corsa

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to corsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help corsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

I did notice the '55 Chevy was a '56. But then, I am probably showing my age!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: General Motors' 10 most significant cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
The Corvair was introduced in 1959, but as a 1960 model, so you are correct, there was no 1959 Corvair.
The same was true with Saturn: There was no 1990 model year Saturn S-Series; the S-Series began production in 1990 and were called 1991 model year cars.

As of Aug 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 209K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 89K
∙ 2004 VUE, 96K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Information Re: General Motors' 10 most significant cars

Thanks for the clarifications on the model years. I used all of your dates when I posted this story to the front page!!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Bit of rose colored glasses there.
How about
1971 Chevrolet Vega-yikes
1980 X-cars- made America safe for the sale of millions of Japanese branded cars every year

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
1980 X-cars- made America safe for the sale of millions of Japanese branded cars every year
Agreed the X Cars weren't the world standard by any measurement....

But - thanks to the X car, we got the 60 degree V6, the starting point for a lot of great GM V6 motors

And whether you liked their stodgy styling or not, the Celebrity, 6000, Cutlass Ciera and Century were all pretty mechanically solid cars...and used the same basic mechanicals that were found in the X cars...and also were probably the worst example of platform sharing between the divisions...At the time, Fortune magazine put all 4 on the cover and asked readers to try to tell one from the other...wasn't easy...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
Fortune magazine put all 4 on the cover and asked readers to try to tell one from the other...wasn't easy...

It's like deja-vu all over again!

Re-badging at it's worst! This is why the Japanese are wiping the floor with us still.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
Re-badging at it's worst! This is why the Japanese are wiping the floor with us still.
The rebadging wasn't/isn't a problem. GM can rebadge good/reliable cars all day. It was the ill fitting doors, moldings falling off, broken seats, odd dashboard layouts and plumes of smoke coming out the tailpipe at 20-30K miles that were the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post

It's like deja-vu all over again!

hahhaahahhaahhaha....

This is so true!!!!!

My parents had FOUR of those Buick Century sedans! And my Dad had a Chevy Celebrity when I was little... I felt like we had the exact same car my entire childhood

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
But - thanks to the X car, we got the 60 degree V6, the starting point for a lot of great GM V6 motors
Not sure that any of the 60 degree V6s are all that great. I would've rather had a DOHC 4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Agreed the X Cars weren't the world standard by any measurement....
I imagine 2 people walking into a Chevy dealer in 1980. One buys a Citation the other buys a Malibu. The Citation blew up in a year and it's owner is now a sworn Toyota buyer. The Malibu is still alive, now being used by an amateur drag racer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #18
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
I imagine 2 people walking into a Chevy dealer in 1980. One buys a Citation the other buys a Malibu. The Citation blew up in a year and it's owner is now a sworn Toyota buyer. The Malibu is still alive, now being used by an amateur drag racer.
Whoa! No offence ment, but talk about your apples orages and grapes analogies.

Apple (malibu) =a 1970's RWD car with a '50's V8 engine reworked, but nothing really new there. Good in some aspects but poor in others.
Orange (citatation)= a new effort to make a V6, full sized, 6 passenger, FWD car, with a transverse mount on a 1970 chassis. (x-body)
Grapes (toyota)= 4 cyl RWD. Did they even have a "mid size car" at this time? Corona had a 2.2L I4, 4dr. Another well aged product that started life in like '69.

The truth is the malibu got poor gas mileage for its size, and the Citation had some new platform blues, and Toyota did not have a 6 passenger car. But they had a decent smaller car products. I won't go into price differences.

Back on topic. I agree that the '91 Saturn was a land mark product. I bought a '92 in Oct '91. After they quickly revised the engine mounting, and that made them very different, they could fix the new platform blues. And the promise that such new development and technological improvements would win back the "import buyers". And then nothing much happened.

I yawned at most of the other listings. they all seem incremental, except for the GM EV1. It was all new, and held great promise, and was left to die.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: General Motors' 10 most significant cars

I would have put the Cadillac V16 on the list, especially the beauties from the early 30s.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd1930phaeton5801.jpg (153.9 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
Whoa! No offence ment, but talk about your apples orages and grapes analogies.

Apple (malibu) =a 1970's RWD car with a '50's V8 engine reworked, but nothing really new there. Good in some aspects but poor in others.
Orange (citatation)= a new effort to make a V6, full sized, 6 passenger, FWD car, with a transverse mount on a 1970 chassis. (x-body)
Grapes (toyota)= 4 cyl RWD. Did they even have a "mid size car" at this time? Corona had a 2.2L I4, 4dr. Another well aged product that started life in like '69.

The truth is the malibu got poor gas mileage for its size, and the Citation had some new platform blues, and Toyota did not have a 6 passenger car. But they had a decent smaller car products. I won't go into price differences.
The Malibu and Citation were sold next to each other in 1980. What I meant was the buyer of the then old fashioned Malibu probably had better luck than the buyer of the newfangled Citation. What I meant about Toyota (or Honda) was that the buyer of the Citation was so PO'd about his new car being a huge POS, swore off ever buying an American car again. He might also have had a friend, relative or colleague who had a Celica, Corolla or a Civic (maybe an Accord) that went over 100K without a hitch. Maybe in late 1982 he happened to notice that Toyota had just come out with the Camry, a roomy 4 passenger sedan/hatchback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!