View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Should I get my Aura fixed or look for a new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_AuraOwner View Post
......2007 Aura XE with 122,753 miles on it. Last August I had to get a new steering pump, then a new rack and pinion in November, a new steering pressure line hose in December, and then I just had to get the oil filter housing and oil pan replaced/fixed due to them leaking. So in the last 10 months I've had to get just over $2,000 in repairs on the car.
From another non-Aura Saturn owner, and a former mechanic and aftermarket auto parts counterman, the replacement of the three steering system components in such a short period of time is highly unusual for any make of car. Unfortunately, the oil leak repair got piled on top of it and only served to make things more costly. All of this, however, is a matter of (bad) timing IMO.

Quote:
When it was looked at in March the mechanics also said that the water pump is leaking and will need to be replaced........ I've already had the water pump replaced once after the first one failed.
How long ago was the water pump replaced? What was the warranty on that service work, or on the water alone if labor is no longer warranteed?

Quote:
and that I need new shocks and struts. This would be around another $1,500 to $2,000 in repairs......
At ten years of service life it's quite typical that the struts require replacement. This is simply a matter of maintenance. Once this is done the struts won't be replaced again for another 8 to 10 years, and there are four aftermarket brands which offer lifetime warranties. (Bad struts which are left in service too long can cause damage to your tires resulting in premature tire replacement.)

Quote:
A friend who works on cars says that it looks like there is an issue with the A/C components and that that could go out soon.
Can you tell us what the "issue" is with the car's A/C which suggests to this friend that it "could go out soon?"

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote