View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: new to me, 2006 saturn vue 102k miles horrible grinding in rear when AWD is engag

It appears you are receiving lots of good advice and I'll add my two cents.

Vue AWD system has no computer controlled electronic circuits ... its all mechanical. (See attached pdf description).

There is a center support bearing for the prop-shaft ... the center support bearing is at times referred to a carrier bearing which can create confusion when you're thinking of differential carrier axle bearings.

See attached thumbnails depicting RDM innards.

Same AWD components were used in 04-07 Vue's. However, early 2004 RDMs were supposedly carry-overs from 02-03 model years and were reworked (some say neutered) to handle 3.5 engine. IIRC the 2006 Equinox RDM is same item.

I replaced Versatrak fluid in my 2005 Vue AWD with Royal Purple Synchromax and didn't notice any RDM operating differences. I eventually went back to Versatrak when I found several bottles on eBay at near theft prices.

You've isolated your problem to RDM and I hope you get that squared away with minimal cost and effort. Be sure to check and/or replace transfer case fluid while you're working underneath. I recall one member reporting a loud grinding noise when moving and found the TC was dry and gears were destroyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDM 1 of 3.jpg (61.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg RDM 2 of 3.jpg (97.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RDM 3 of 3.jpg (168.8 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - RDM Description.pdf (56.6 KB, 12 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote