View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: whine/groan from new AC Compressor

Wrong. Anyone, even myself, is required to replace the accumulator/receiver/filter/drier (call it what you want as it does all that's described) when a new compressor is put in service. The reason? I found thru Googling background info that far too many "repair shops" failed to replace driers resulting in the new compressor failing from contaminated oil circulating crap. These new compressors failed in service and returned under warranty until the manufacturers mandated drier replacement. This cut down on the warranty returns and if found contaminated, the factory voids the warranty to cut down on shady practices from shops cutting corners.

The same rules apply to replacing condenser coils; replacing the drier. When I replaced damaged hoses and condenser coil, I replaced the drier for insurance against crap damaging the original compressor on my '03 L300. Look at it another way; an a/c system that needs major repairs deserves a new drier simply because the system continually circulates refrigerant and oil continuously for the life of the a/c system until it breaks. Now the system is opened for repairs. As a rule, compressors and condenser coil replacement mandate replacing the drier since the original one has served its purpose and should be replaced. Its the cheapest insurance against future damage clogging the condenser coil or compressor. And its cheap.

You didn't have your a/c system repaired by a reputable repair shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote