View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: whine/groan from new AC Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I agree, the noise is not normal. It never made noise before. My S doesn't make noise and neither does our Subaru Outback.

I'm kind of screwed though. He says it's fine, so short of paying someone else to do the job over, I'll have to live with it. If it does go bad, I just hope it does during the warranty period.

Andy
No you are not screwed. You know and he knows that the noise it is making is unacceptable. A good garage should always stand behind their work and the parts they use. it sounds like this garage is fobbing you off to avoid having to do the work again. You need to go back and tell them in plain terms the compressor is not fit for purpose and you want it replacing. Period.
A few years ago I had to have bad compressor replaced on an old GMC minivan I had. I used my local independent garage.
As soon as i got the van back with the new compressor, I was not happy and it too was making a horrid whining noise. They said they had put new fluid in the compressor and it was a thinner oil than the other one. They swapped out the compressor and made sure they used the same oil as was in before. I had no more issues.
There are always 2 parts to a warranty job; the part and the labor. I think you may find the labor warranty is shorter than the parts warranty. If you left it till after the labor warranty has expired the garage will happily charge you for all the work that needs doing again.
Don't stand for this fobbing off. Go back and demand they replace it.
Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote