View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: whine/groan from new AC Compressor

I understand your situation perfectly as you are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Unfortunately, noise means mechanical things not working smoothly and compressors are well built for lifetime use. As noise continues, I would be concerned of it generating problems as it may slowly trash the system. The only things that come to mind are the steel vanes rubbing against the aluminum chamber walls - normally lubricated with oil. No ball bearings for the actual working parts that compress gases. That's as far as my imagination goes because the main bearings are very robust and not prone to failing unless crap entered in with oil after repairs. I can't imagine any other parts that would cause noise within this compressor but what do I know?

While this is a real concern, there may be one suggestion to consider if you decide to try it and maybe with the blessing of the repair shop; adding oil conditioner. Google for info on a/c products. There's one product that been described as a synthetic oil conditioner and another ingredient used to absorb any minute moisture, converting it to an inert substance for capturing in the filter/drier. I can't remember what this product is called but it appears to be a way to help with oil lube, a silicone like oil? It may be worth discussing it with your repair shop after you find this product. It's a small can with about an ounce of r134a for injecting it into the suction side with the system running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote