View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: whine/groan from new AC Compressor

My compressor is noise free as well as millions of vehicles driving the roads of the world without a noisy compressor. For anyone to say its normal to hear a noisy compressor is either less than truthful or hiding something. My car's a/c failed two years ago (see my photos for damages) and I'm not formally schooled in refrigeration. I started vehicle a/c repairs years ago when r12 was the refrigerant of choice. Never blew up a system or had repairs backfire, leak, etc.. I follow and use every guideline while 'practicing' on every repair. Refrigeration is not rocket science so its within my limited capabilities. No one in my neighborhood using their vehicle a/c has noisy compressors over and above the normal engine sounds. In fact, car manufacturers go out of their way to constantly tweak the engine bay to lower noise levels, from reducing the starter noise to ensuring the exhaust system meets EPA emissions regulations while keeping exhaust noise low to those not engrossed with hearing the roar of their engines. I suppose the owners driving Ferrari's, Lambo's, and other exotic cars don't care about noise but it is subjective. An Aston Martin is an expensive car with a very powerful engine yet quiet. I don't think any one of those drivers will put up with a noisy compressor when attempting to listen to their gazillion dollar Bose, Harmon Kardon or Bang & Olufson sound system............. Unfortunately, your new compressor is noisy and not normal at all.

If anyone should have a noisy compressor, I should since I refuse to replace a compressor unless I'm convinced there's reason to replace it. Instead of the rush to judgement repair shops insist on, choosing to do my repairs at home allows me to discriminate on which parts need to be replaced while retaining those still capable of operation. My compressor is now 12 years old with some new hoses, condenser coil and drier and is working without needing 'topping off' two years after repairs...........noise free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote