View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 94 Saturn Sedan Auto Trans-won't go in gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by randers View Post
Based on your reply I'm going to start with the drivers side shaft as I have already replaced the passenger side. Replacing the passenger side shaft was fairly simple.
Did you install an aftermarket shaft, or an OEM one from the salvage yard? The aftermarket ones are reputed to be inferior.
Quote:
Any issues with the drivers side I should be aware of?
Since the driver's side shaft goes directly into the transmission, instead of into an intermediate shaft, two things. One, DRAIN the transmission FIRST. Otherwise you'll be draining it anyway in a very messy fashion when you remove the shaft. Also, you have to be careful about the seal where the shaft goes into the transmission. I haven't done it myself, but search this section for "differential seal" or "axle shaft seal" or the like, for more information about precautions to take.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote