View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Note to self...don't fill the gas tank to the brim...

Bein' a New Yawker, I'm accustomed to filling my tank and usually top off to the next whole dollar, paying cash. Once years ago, I forgot New Jersey does not allow customers to self pump gas when I stopped by a no name station before returning home. Back then NJ gas was always about 30 cents cheaper than NY gas so it paid to fill up. As I filled my tank, this station still had the lever stop to let go of the pump handle while locking the pump on. For whatever reason, I was distracted for a moment next to the pump when gas flowed out. The attendant saw it and quickly ran over and was upset. I apologized and my tank was full to the neck with more raw gas running down the side of the quarter panel. All safe, no cell phone in use and hardly anyone at this station and a nice warm day. Nothing ever occurred after that and I still pump up to the next whole dollar amount after the nozzle stops. No error codes have ever popped up because of topping off. The NJ incident was the only time I saw raw gasoline come out a full tank. Every tank I filled with the pump automatically stopping, slow feeding of gas until the next whole dollar amount usually results in putting in about close to a half gallon more of fuel. I use $2.35/gal and less than a dollar to fill up/round up. Even at one dollar, divided by 2.35 equals 0.4 gal of fuel. This never fills up to the filler neck. I've been doing this almost forever in several vehicles with zero issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote