View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #10
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Another Flexpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
At the beginning of the weekend I went through the trouble of wrapping the cracked portion with fibre glass matting, light gauge sheet metal and then a stainless steel band clamp (more sheet metal and multiple strap clamps).

Big mistake, it actually made everything louder. I guess it went from being a crack leaking pressure waves to a large speaker radiating sound in all directions.

That's gone.

Still waiting to hear back on some details before ordering.
Go with the one on eBay from the Canadian supplier. I installed the first replacement section with the flex pipe and second catalytic converter back in April. No, it is not stainless steel, but it is fairly thick walled and I sprayed it with some high heat ceramic coating spray paint. I know only time and a couple of brutal WI winters will tell if my spray bomb did any good. As for cost, this guy on eBay periodically has sales, and the price may fluctuate all over the place. It just comes down to him having the lowest price when you need his part. Right now he is at 136 USD, I bought mine in April for 83 USD. Trump Tariffs??? Oh yeah, the aftermarket piece fits really well too, a little long, so just cut it a little shorter when it goes into the second piece. Note: the factory pipe clamp is spot welded to the pipe at the top. Do not ask me how I found this out.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote