View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
spitfireap
spitfireap has a spectacular aura aboutspitfireap has a spectacular aura aboutspitfireap has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Low Voltage While Running - Alternator Has Already Been Replaced

I have an '08 4dr XR that's been giving me problems for the last 8 months or so with charging. I noticed a problem when the radio would shut off if I turned the steering wheel to either extreme. Then the car wouldn't start one day. I jumpstarted, headed home and checked the battery level - around 11v. Charged the battery and drove around for a couple weeks and the thing again wouldn't start one morning - again low voltage, and again charged the battery. I suspected it was the alternator so I tested it with a multimeter and replaced it with a rebuilt one due to voltage reading around 11.4 at the battery with all systems on in the car instead of the mid-high 13s. After new alternator, drove around and about 2 weeks later had the same issue. Wanting to know what was going on, I bought a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

If I run the car with no extra systems (radio, ac, lights, etc) on I get a reading in the high 12s. When I add lights and radio it'll drop to the mid-12s. Once I turn on the AC, the voltage drops to the mid 11s. If I don't want the battery to be dead every 2 weeks, I have to drive with no AC. Alternator is not the likely suspect due to it being replaced, although it's not out of the question. The other culprit would be the voltage regulator, but I understand its part of the alternator on this car, so a new alternator would have brought a new voltage regulator. Any idea where I might look for a solution besides replacing the alternator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spitfireap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spitfireap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spitfireap is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links