View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: GM being investigated for a steering recall for the cobalt that wasn't for the io

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
Citation, is your ION an automatic or a manual transmission car?

If it's an automatic, your issue sounds like it might be a failing BTSI that has gone undiagnosed for some time. The BTSI controls the park interlock on the ignition, and when it's failing it usually ends up causing the ignition to get sticky until it eventually won't turn at all. There is a weak switch in the BTSI (I know, another weak switch ) that eventually fails and can cause all sorts of weird ignition issues.

It makes me wonder if your BTSI has been failing for a bit now and it's been misdiagnosed as failing ignition switches. Might be worth a look.

See the thread below for replacement instructions:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183467
Hi Col_Dude, thanks.It;s an automatic. The BTSI has been replaced twice, This last time 4000 miles ago with the ignition switch repair.

Most times I can diddle the little button under the steering wheel and get the key out. Other times, though it's rare, it will go all the way to off like it's supposed to and release the key.

The no turn ignition switch thing happened once before when the car was new on a trip to Oregon.

It's frustrating because the engine and trans will be good for at least 200,000 miles, and it's fuel economy is great. But this has been going on so long, I,ve been looking at alternatives.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote