View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: comparing the Lseries V6 to the 4 cyl

Trade offs, indeed! Your points here are well taken, Russet.

I had a conversation several years ago with a friend of mine who'd purchased a 2010 or 2012 Dodge Challenger with a V8. He explained why he chose that engine option over the V6. It came down to two points: the V6 had only 2-3 MPG greater than the V8, but the larger engine gave him much greater HP and torque. I was told that the highway driving typically gave him 28 MPG which he was more than happy with in this car. With that he said, "No one has ever asked for LESS power." That's what led him to choose the stronger engine. Frankly, I agree with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
...9. last but not least if you don't maintain either engine it won't last!...
I could not agree more!!

Russet correctly pointed out that there are trade offs one must accept depending on what engine an L-Series car has in it. While I'm pleased with my 2.2L engine and its longevity I would certainly like to have more HP. Unfortunately, that didn't exist when these cars were built and while later ECOTEC engines (including the 2.4L) did get significantly more HP it also led to a lower MPG rating.

For the time being, I still want my higher MPG rating.

325,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote