View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
aa4lr
aa4lr has a spectacular aura aboutaa4lr has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Re: 98 SL2 Shifter Linkage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfehunter View Post
Just got done doing a search and I'm hoping I get lucky and just need a shifter bushing as it looks like it is a common problem. sounds like I need to look on ebay if I need one or I saw a post about Toyota siper linkage bushings from Advanced Auto will work in a pinch. the steel one sounds better. also read where someone used a bolt, nut and a few washers. I'll check it out tomorrow night after work and hopefully get to the root of my problem.
The center console should come up with just four screws removed, two in back, two in front.

If it is the shifter bushing (which is likely), you may be able to do a temporary fix using two or three wire ties to hold the shifter cable end over the ball.

I would recommend the shifter bushing replacements sold on eBay -- either the Delrin or the Stainless bushing -- your choice.

I cannot recommend the Toyota wiper bushings. I tried them for about three months, and the bushing was so tight it worked the end off of my shifter cables. I opted to replace the cables entirely -- a $260 part from the dealer. The cables come with a new shifter bushing.

Good luck!

Bill Coleman
2001 Saturn SC2 Auto (3/13-...) "Yellow"
1999 Saturn SL2 Auto (11/09-...) "White"
1995 Saturn SC1 Manual (9/08-...) "Gold"
1994 Saturn SL1 Auto (7/94-1/04) 144,000 miles "Green"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aa4lr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aa4lr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aa4lr is offline   Reply With Quote