View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default oil checking pittfals

Some of you may remember my thread on oil consumption. It's more complicated and i'm starting a new one now.

In short, my son drives 03 Ion and lives in another town and visits us about once a month. i checked oil a month ago and it looked like it was very low (barely on the dipstick) and it took ~2 qts to fill it up. I sort of yelled at him and he claimed oil was fine before the trip. I thought he lied about checking. He went back and I asked him to check oil again. He said overfilled. I assumed he does it wrong. So, I checked this weekend and it looks overfilled alright, at least 1qt, maybe more. Maybe it's not burning oil like I though, but somehow oil was trapped in upper part of crankcase when I checked before?

150,000+ miles. I like to check on cold engine after sitting overnight. My driveway is not perfectly flat, but not hilly either.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links