View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray
I don't want to start a flame war but I disagree with this post.
If your clutch packs are spalling friction material, leaving the old stuff in only makes it worse because you are circulating abrasive material and plugging your filter. As you said the clutch material can "dirty up the valve body causing sticking valves" which I think confirms my opinion. Also the clutch material is abrasive to your gears, bushings, and bearings so your upcoming rebuild will be more extensive. It's always good to change fluid, and while you will find many stories about "I changed my auto trans fluid and the trans failed" it wasn't because of new fluid.
And you would be CORRECT. If the transaxle is in such sad shape that changing the fluid will negatively affect operation, you've been living on borrowed time for a long time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfxp
Maybe I've been inhaling too much ATF... but I don't think the bottle filling adds up.

"
10. Pour the remaining dirty fluid into the empty bottle. There will be a scale on the side of the bottle so you can tell how much is in it. Using that scale as a guide, add the equivalent amount of CLEAN fluid to the transaxle.
"

But if I have an empty bottle, that means the fluid is in the transmission already. So the transmission would be "up one bottle". I'm doing this right now. All the ATF is in my oil container. I pour one new bottle into the transmission, and I pour the old stuff into that bottle. We're one to one. But you need to do that (as stated) in order to stay balanced. I don't see how you can "reverse" that procedure (by pouring the what's left in the can before adding to the transmission) and still stay balanced.
Any tips would be great, other than having an extra empty bottle. Thanks.
You can use a clear or other graduated measuring cup if the sequence nets you no final empty bottle. Anything capable of measuring the remaining dirty fluid in Onces or portions of quarts/pints so you know how much more clean to add) can of course be used. (Even an empty soda or beer bottle)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote