View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #28
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: So long and thanks for all the fish........

Yes, instead of being limited by the internal impedance (and sluggish chemistry in colder weather) of the battery, the capacitor response is more or less instantaneous and does not sag appreciably during brief engine cranking.

I noticed especially on the motorcycle, but even on the truck and Cruze, that the "running" voltage of the system with the capacitors is significantly higher than without them, despite having active charging system voltage regulation in all cases.
I would chalk this up to the capacitors smoothing to the peaks of the alternator ripples and possibly the way the meter being used to read the voltage deals with any ripple.
I haven't bothered hooking up an oscilloscope to a system having them yet but suspect that I know what I would see.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote