View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Oil Consumption Thoughts

Wow,
Some of you folks are not reading everything I wrote, or not comprehending it.
First off, I only put my opinion in at the very end of the original post when I talk about the engine break-in process. All the rest is either directly from GM Techs, Satlite440 and others, or from the articles that I posted links to. And I specifically posted those links to explain and educate about the issue. So, please, reread them, and hopefully that will clear up some of what is not being understood.
Second, several members keep going on about CNC machining should mean tighter tolerances. It does, but not the way that you are talking about. Making tighter fitting parts, tighter tolerances, means more heat, more friction, more drag, and reduced fuel economy. Also an engine that won't burn oil. However, the real benefit of CNC machining is that the manufacturer can get all the cylinders much closer in size to each other, tighter tolerance, and then, all the pistons closer in size, again a tighter tolerance. But those pieces have more gap between them to reduce drag and friction, which helps raise fuel economy as mandated by the government. This greater cylinder to piston gap is left to the rings to try and seal, which they have a hard time doing. To make matters worse, as the engines wear in, those gaps open up even more, making the rings job even harder.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote