View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Lw300 NIGHTMARE PLEASE HELP (OVERHEATING)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejoka813 View Post
...I had THE WRENCH Light one night after all this. turned the engine off and started it again and it ran fine. The light came on and the car was banging into gear. Almost like a bad mount. After the shutdown and start up the light was off and she ran normal. The only code I had before was for EVAP CANISTER.
Hopefully you're aware of the differences between the "engine" warning light and the "wrench" warning light. The check engine light relates to ignition and emission system problems principally with some transmission codes also present. Any OBD II scanner can read codes that cause the engine light to appear. The wrench light illuminates when other non-ignition/emission failures occur. So your wrench light's appearance coinciding with a possible transmission shifting error cannot be read by a common OBD II scanner. Codes which cause the wrench light to appear can only be read by GMs Tech II, or Tech III Scan Tools as such codes are proprietary to the company and not subject to government standardization. This is true for all car manufacturers.

Quote:
The fans go thru the cycle of high med when she does get close to the 1/2 line. I can't turn off the car until it kick into med because it does stay on (with engine off and drain the battery.
Our engine cooling fan system is intended to remain on for a limited time after the engine has been turned off if its temperature hadn't reached a threshold low enough for them to be turned off when the engine is shut down. I suspect what you've noticed here is actually the cooling fan's normal operation. If the car has been very warm for an extended amount of time it can take up to 7 or 8 minutes after the engine is off before the FCM (Fan Control Module) tells the ECM to turn them off.

Quote:
The upper hose felt hot hot hot
If the cooling system temperature gauge shows at the mid point then the upper radiator hose should feel hot. This is not abnormal, it is normal.

Quote:
at one touch then another touch was like there wasn't any water.
There must have been an adequate amount of coolant in the system or you would've seen a warning light appear at the dash console.

Quote:
I've been running the heater so I believe that's why the coolant is going down in the reservoirs.
I think not. The cooling system on the L-Series cars has the coolant/antifreeze constantly running through the heater core whether or not the heater has been turned on.

Quote:
I know I need a valve cover gasket. Would that cause any of this.
No. It could cause an engine miss if oil has been collecting in a spark plug well.

Quote:
Had a friend say the smoke that emits from start up is the TSTAT LEAKING ON THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD.
I'm sure that your friend is trying to be helpful, but he's most likely wrong. The thermostat housing is a very fair distance away from the exhaust manifolds and the exhaust system's piping.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote