View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #72
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Engine won't crank, 2002 SL2

Based on your findings and pretty thorough troubleshooting, I'm inclined to believe in loose connections as the reason for the no start symptom, starting with the START (small purple) wire not powering the starter solenoid (no loud click if the starter motor brushes or solenoid windings failed). If the starter solenoid can't power up to pull in the heavy duty contactor to switch battery power to the starter motor, its anyone's guess if the battery cable would conduct amperage to the starter motor. At the least, once you found the starter free of any large oil leaks to invade and contaminate the starter, used a hands on approach to find loose hardware and tightened things up and charged the battery to find starting no longer an issue, I think you made an easy fix.

Whether diesel or gas, starters and batteries are similar in characteristic starting scenarios with the exception of using a glow plug in cold weather to heat up diesel/ignite it. It's always good to get second, third and fourth opinions with battery tests. Voltage monitoring may be the only clue in cold winter temps before starting. While no one can correlate whether or not voltage, temperature drops and losing reserve battery power ends up as a dead or failing battery, three only thing we can do I cold weather is either monitor battery voltages daily/weekly/never or plug in a trickle charger every night. Jumper cables for backup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote