View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Auction car woes

I would think that a repair shop replacing your steel brake lines shouldn't charge you more than two hours of labor. My only caveat to that would be if they were having significant difficulty removing the lines. My hunch would be that it shouldn't really take more than one hour of labor time.

As stated previously, one line would need to be removed to be used for comparison and size matching. When using aftermarket lines one cannot have bending exactly as the factory originals which came out of a specific production run of such parts. It may require more than one piece to make up the needed length to equal the original part. A union fitting would join the pieces together. This typically means that your new replacement lines will be somewhat longer than the originals. (If I were headed out to a pick-a-part type of wrecking yard I'd be happy to find the brake lines from a donor L-Series sedan for you, but I have no idea when I might be doing that.)

If you are capable of performing the brake job then you can certainly handle the required improvisation of installing aftermarket steel brake lines. Remember that this repair requires the use of line wrenches. Common open end wrenches will not suffice.

280,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote