View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL
Default Re: Peanutbutter in the Coolant overflow - DOHC '94 SL2

The tan peanut butter looking paste can only be oil as far as I can figure. Look in to overflow after it has cooled some, and stir it a bit, it is probably floating on coolant. If you use green coolant you should see green under the floating brownish sludge.

I've had cars run ok without overheating if an oil into coolant leak isn't super bad. But its not something that will get better on its own, teh leak would get bigger.

Maybe they used a cheap head gasket, maybe they didn't torque teh head down enough? Maybe on a cold startup in cold weather the car got revved to much and has a cracked head? Speculations

For sure I would go back to the shop that did the work and ask them for a free inspection at the least. Maybe they could pressure test your coolant system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote