View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Brakes feel that they do not grip well

I generally get wear from 2 sets of pads from a set of rotors. I do not resurface. I replace them when warped or under the minimum thickness. Note that the FSM does not endorse resurfacing brake rotors. New pads quickly conform to lightly ridged rotors, in the first few stops of the burnishing process. The lack of bite here is likely due to worn/aged brake pads, old brake fluid, air, grease/oil contamination, or a failed brake booster, or (my bet) all or most of these. The L-Series I have both have excellent brakes that start to grab with nearly zero pedal travel and braking increases linearly with pedal force. It should be possible to either lock all 4 wheels or activate ABS if you have it with moderately hard brake pressure.

Note- these cars are getting to the age where brake line failure is possible. Another possibility to the list above is a worn master cylinder. I change my brake fluid annually, as this is a requirement of my car club prior to allowing track use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote