Thread: Fan always on
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Fan always on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomenomosso View Post
Where exactly did you get this information?

(And why is it that I have not come across this in my resources? I'm frustrated that circuit and DTC descriptions that are supposed to be manufacturer's, don't give me this information!)

I'm going to check the resistor when I have the time.

If you're saying that an open in the low speed causes the ECM to command the high speed fan on then that would make sense because it's that's circuit that cuts on when I start the car. No fans run when I remove that relay and it can't be that there's an open on that circuit because I'm able to toggle it on or off with my scanner.

The p0481 is supposed to be an open in the high speed circuit. That's what has been confusing me.

I'll check out the fan resistor. I hope it's not too bad to get to.

Thanks a million, guys!
You've done a great job of proving the HIGH SPEED cooling circuit is good.

Waiter21 and Beasleylou offer excellent advice pointing out cooling fan resistor is most likely suspect.

The information I posted is from GM service manual but I repeat I have no practical experience with 2.2 engine.

In a perfect world the ECM would set code P0480 (open LOW SPEED fan circuit) when resistor opens but that obviously didn't happen in this case.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote