View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Would having a real-time fuel mileage display change your driving habits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Ramos View Post
My father owns a Lincoln Continental with the instant MPG (or KPG!) readout. I have to press the menu button a few times to get to that readout, but when I do, it's usually out of curiosity when I'm on the open road or in really bad traffic. I just like to see what the extremes of the car can be in terms of fuel efficiency. Turns out that it can get up to 27mpg on the highway after some regular maintenance. A V8, no less. If my SL1 had an MPG readout, I would constantly be having a joygasm as I watch the number not slip below 30.
That's because it's due to a highly tuned/geared transmission. I also want to say that it's because it's got the mustang engine in it, but I'm not swearing to anything (unless you said Town Car instead )

that said, typically V8s in cars do get that kind of fuel economy (when it's used in a (pickup) truck, van, or (S)UV application you typically expect to see less.) I've read about a couple people getting ~30mpg in even a grand marquis , the secret is that the engine is running at 1700RPM and in a higher gear.

EDIT: If your Continental was a '95-2002 model, it had a 4.6L modular engine in it, which happens to be one of the Mustang engines (psst find a K&N kit for it, get one for a equivalent year Mustang if you can't find one for the continental. it should just fit right in ).. suprising that the oldschool Continentals had V8s that are over 6 and 7 liters

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 05-10-2009 at 02:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote