View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Battery Brain: product to prevent battery drain

Actually the Ion already has rundown protection as do most, if not all, recent GMs. Not a bad device for older cars though. Beats having to open the hood or trunk to get to a manual switch. Considering that it includes a remote and a switch that must handle hundreds of amps the price isn't that bad. I might actually consider one of those for my Fiat Spyder. The battery is in the trunk which requires a key to open. If you can disconnect and connect the battery with the remote it's effectively an anti-theft. The remote could also be a rolling code like garage door openers virturally eliminating any concern with other people disabling your car.

As for the vise grips, I learned long ago never to use a wrench long enough to reach both battery posts at the same time. If it slips you're in for a heart-stopping experience. Remove the negative first, then shorting the postive to the car won't even hurt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote