Thread: rattling noise
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #9
rapidnet_rick
rapidnet_rick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nowhere Man
I think you're on to something here. When my belt tensioner went out, I thought my car was pininging but the noise appeared to be comming from around the belt area. I took a flashlight and shone it on the belt tensioner. Sure enough it was vibrating with the noise, so that was it.
UPDATE:

I just replaced the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley, and that cured my problem.

I would have never guessed/ Sounded almost like a valve tap to me at first... Until I poked under the hood...then seemed to come from PowerSteering pump...

BTW... on my 95 SC2, it was a royal pain in the *****.... I am not new to working on cars...there was zero room to work. I spent about 30 minutes just getting the bolt back in/on the idler pulley!

If access to the parts wasn't an issue, this would have taken perhaps 10 minutes. It tool almost 2 hours!

Next time I am taking the upper motor mount off to get room. BTW, I did jack vehicle up, removed tire and wheel well....still no room to work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rapidnet_rick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rapidnet_rick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!