View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Re: Cylinder 3 misfire & Fuel in Oil

The cat and gas in oil are not directly related, just possibly symptoms of an over-rich fueling at one cylinder that resulted in a rich reading at the O2 sensor. Then, the PCM leaned the mixture and caused the valve to burn. Meanwhile, the "bad" cylinder was still too rich (leaking injector that the PCM really had no control over) and feeding so much fuel that it got down in the oil and fouled the cat.

If you have noticeable fuel in the oil, that isn't going to be the best lube for the engine internals. You could turn a bad-head situation into a bad-engine one; double (or more) the cost and effort of the head job. Also, I expect the fuel economy is pretty poor. It has to be your call. I would do it soon, in my fairly warm and dry garage. If you have to do work outside in the snow, I can understand trying to wait a few more months!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote