View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1
Default Re: hard starting 2001 SL1

Seems my second post got lost. Wires, plugs are all good, and recently regapped (4-6 months ago). I did the MMO-GM TSB piston ring cleaning trick recently (3-6 months ago) that solved the massive oil consumption rate that had gotten out of hand.

I checked the OBD-II codes and found a new one, and also found that 2 of the emission monitors were still not locked in. It had been ages since I cleared the p0401 code or had a dead battery (about 3-4 months ago left the head lights on).

The new code was lean code, P0171. The O2 sensor is not that old, and does not have that many miles to be bad. I suspect the blower-EGR, clogged ports, garbage system Saturn used on these, P0401 code problem, caused a fake lean code.

I cleared them and made 4 trips, so far P0401 is the only code,one I have battled for 4 years now.

P0171 has not returned, yet, and it has not yet locked in the 2A or E or EE monitors.

I have discovered that if I just let it crank an extra second, it starts properly the first try, but it use to start in 1-2 seconds, not 3 seconds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote