View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: ABS Light on but no OBDII Codes found

And while I was distracted, I forgot to mention the check engine light doesn't turn on for abs errors because the abs light turning on and staying on is the indication that abs errors occurred and stores the code in either the abs module or passes it on for storage in bcm memory for retrieval by better readers. Outside of emissions error codes, I think abs errors are stored in the abs module. The bcm acts as the electronic gateway for communicating with the ecm/pcm, abs, airbag, tcm, OnStar and other modules communicating thru canbus wiring. Original (OBD I) comms are serial but became too slow as more modules were added, forcing engineers to use canbus comms for higher comm speed. This created problems with readers originally wired for serial comms. The OBD II port connection for readers are serial but the extra pins on some OBD II ports in our cars are for canbus communications requiring readers with the ability to connect to canbus pinouts to retrieve the error codes not read from readers using the serial pinouts. More electronics, more comm protocols, more expensive readers/scan tools..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote