Thread: Why I am broke
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2001, 03:13 PM   #7
SteveP
SteveP is on a distinguished road

Selling in a delaership is not an easy job as you have discovered. The idea of another function in the dealership might something to consider. I would think that since you have been in sales that F&I or service writing might a couple of options that you could consider.

Depending upon physical condition and your inclination, being a tech is not a bad thing. (This is where ssicarman, sattech and others will hopefully weigh in). Having turned wrenches myself, I can do it, but I enjoy doing it on my terms and decided that doing it day in and day out was not something that I enjoyed. I still work on cars as a hobby. We keep a couple of Triumphs around as toys, I had been crewing on a GT4 car until recently and am engaged in building another car that will be legal for both SCCA E-Prod and Vintage racing. Now it is more like therapy that doesn't go down on your permanent record.

As for parts, parts is a funny section. The way you make money in parts (or at least it was this way when I was growing up around a dealership) is through long term relationships with outside repair shops and to be paid, at least partially/mostly, on a commission.

Body shops, repair shops and such like consistency in their suppliers and this is usually only built up over time by dealing with folks. They want a track record with someone. Very early on for lack of a better term, I "inherited" a couple of shop accounts when one guy retired from doing British car parts. This guy thought that i did a good job and that I would be able to keep "his shops" happy. By word of mouth as other's retired, moved, or got out of the business for whatever reasons, I was able to pick up others. When I changed dealerships and often even car lines, these shops went with me for the most part. In turn, when I got out of the business, I had someone that I had been training and had been my back up with these accounts. They were now his and still are to this day. So as I say, parts is a bit different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteveP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteveP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!