Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: '93 SL1 Heat and Engine Temp Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardf8 View Post
Agreed on the T-Stat, but there's cause for concern at the other end of the gauge too, as the OP notes that the vehicle overheats if left long enough at idle. If the ECTS has been replaced, this suggests an issue with the radiator fan or its relay that should also be examined.
Well you have to take into consideration a couple of things. First, this year car has TWO temp sensors. One is for the gauge and the other supplies temp data to the ECM. The other thing is that many people here often panic when the temp gauge comes close to the red (overheat) range. If it is NOT in the red, it is NOT overheated. As long as the fan comes on prior to the temp reaching the red, he is fine.

Again, depending on which temp sensor he changed, he could still have faulty data going to the ECM which can effect the proper operation of the radiator fan. The same can be said about the sensor for the gauge.

However from his initial post, I agree with the concensus about the thermostat. The symptoms are classic stuck open or missing t-stat.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote