View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: heater core or blown head gasket???

Welcome to SaturnFans, Courtbby1!

This is an unfortunate circumstance to find oneself in. In a sense, we're a bit beyond asking questions regarding maintenance history, but it would be useful if you can provide that information (how ever much you may actually have).
1) I'm curious to know when the thermostat was last replaced .
2) Prior to the engine temperature rising towards overheating, where was the temperature gauge needle typically pointing during normal use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtbby1 View Post
okay, so my 2005 Saturn ion 2.2 has had a slight oil leak in it since I got it. Car over heated(didn't go up to red because I turned the car off before it could and stopped driving it). Replaced radiator fan. Now the car wont hold any coolant..
Did the replacement of the engine cooling fan improve anything?
Quote:
issues are as follows:
Draining coolant(having to put more in it everytime I get in it again)
This line suggests the presence of a leak. Do you see any fluid on the ground wherever the car is parked?
Quote:
smoke like fog coming from my vents even if the heater and ac are off
This is unusual...antifreeze infused steam could be coming through the vents if the heater core is leaking and perhaps the HVAC case is still holding that fluid in it.
Quote:
exhaust pipe appeared to have a gray light smoke coming from it(unsure if it was steam or actual smoke as it wasn't thick and cleared out quickly)and only did it once while it was idling.
(This could be a hopeful sign that there's not a blown head gasket.)
Quote:
sweet smell inside of the car almost too much to bear(stings my nose)
I'm reasonably certain that the odor is from the antifreeze.
Quote:
car is not over heating because I'm trying my best to keep water in it.

heater is still working.
FWIW, in this circumstance you're doing the right thing.
Quote:
ive been told it could be my heater core, leaking intake, or blown head gasket...
Testing for a cooling system leak or a blown head gasket is actually rather easy. The cooling system requires a pressure test. A blown head gasket results in hot exhaust escaping into the cooling system. A test for the presence of exhaust gases in the cooling system will typically use a product like the one in this link...

http://www.blocktester.com/

Quote:
I'm not sure what to do. mother of 2, I'm only 25 and I cant afford to put it in a shop. I know a few mechanics in my family who may be able to fix it. I'm just not sure what needs to be done.
First things first: the car needs to be tested. Without knowledge of what's actually causing the problem one's mind can run wild with the possibilites for what has to be done - I've been through that as well. Try to avoid leaping into unnecessary conclusions. Please keep us updated here and let us know how things are going.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote