View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Can I replace BCM myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoJames View Post
Local GM dealer in Denver wants $462 + $140 to program it. The online one is $238. Expensive either way, but that's a big difference.
You want to find out if that dealer is quoting you a new/improved BCM with the newer style key fobs. If so, I would jump on that - $140 is the going price for programming.

I'm going through BCM hell myself right now. I tried getting my factory unit repaired, but it was toast. I got a used unit from an online outfit - very BIG PITA removing the old one. After finally getting the 30-min. security relearn accomplished, I was able to start the car and the replacement unit cured my issues (Rear Wiper, DRLs, Door Locks), but it left me with a new Air Bag Light, non-working key fobs and of course, the mileage of the car it came out of. I believe these issues can be fixed with programming by someone with a GM Tech-II scan tool. From what I understand, the "primary key" is a setup needed so the SDM can get the vehicle configuration from the BCM. I'm having trouble getting this done - the dealers want to sell you a new and improved BCM, which, from what I hear, costs about $1,000, but comes with 2 new key fobs. I would hate to spend that much on my 13-year-old '03, but I think my VUE has a lot of miles left in it, so I might spring for the new BCM. Especially considering another 1st gen unit is going to fail again in due time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote