Thread: HID option
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: HID option

Thank you for an informative update on various issues about HID's. I am aware of Euro style high/low beams where the projector light housing has a movable metal cutoff plate inside the housing. This is probably the noise you hear when flipping from low to high beam and back in a dual use projector light, two instead of four headlights. A solenoid is used to move the cutoff plate into the beam; when upright, the upper half of the projected light is cut off for low beam driving. This prevents blinding opposing traffic. When switched to high beam, the cutoff plate is lowered and full light output is seen - high beams. I wasn't aware of GM models using this technology and you're the first here to inform us. I'm impressed because I believe these dual lights are adapted from European lighting. As you may well know, USA headlight standards were way behind advances in lighting with Europe readily adopting HID lighting and daytime running lights long before (outdated) US headlight standards were finally abandoned. This is in reference to the old sealed beam low and high beams in 5" or 7" round and square headlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dual high-low beam HID configuration.jpg (98.5 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote