Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL
Default Re: Change oil interval article---again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As reported in news accounts, Europeans tend to be more forward thinking about oci's simply because of practical economics (higher gas and oil prices) forcing car owners to maximize their spending against wear and tear with no appreciable premature decline in engine wear. This concept is lost in America.................
Another thing that sometimes people don't realize is just how expensive autos are in Europe. Doing a quick internet search (to make sure I am not WAY off base), a Ford Focus 1.6 L 5Door, BEFORE adding *options* such as AC, Auto, PS, and ABS ranges from $25,000 to $33,000 depending on which country it is purchased in (in the Euro zone). In Denmark (before options), they pull in $48,500. With prices like that, coupled with wages that iirc tend to be less than in the US, I can see why people would be more picky about making sure their cars were kept in tip top shape.

Here in the US, cars are much more of a "throw-away" item, and I can see why people don't care as much about keeping them in shape. "Buy new every two" and who cares about whether or not you took care of it.

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote