Thread: E15
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: E15

The topic drifted away from E15. With that in mind, electric vehicles are a topic wholly separate from internal combustion engines.

My guess with initial hybrids was the interim period between fossil fueled vehicles and all electric cars by using a small internal combustion engine (ice) with a small ev battery and ev motor. If I'm not mistaken, the first hybrids used nickel metal hydride with very low capacity until lithium battery technology entered into vehicle use to replace nmh batteries. Even with lithium batteries in hybrid cars, ev use still has a very short range.The compromise for hybrids was to have the longer range of a fossil fueled engine (at the cost of lower power) once the ev battery became depleted to allay fears of extremely short range performance. A small niche market catered to those enjoying commuter trips on battery power without needing gasoline and allowing for longer drives at any time. Short range electric power for inner city/short trips and longer gasoline engine range when the battery became depleted. Both modes with low to moderate power, no muscle cars. The limited demand may be the lynchpin in manufacturers not extending hybrid models when vehicles like Teslas came around meeting long range performance using large lithium battery packs coupled with the charging infrastructure to allow cross country driving without range anxiety. The all electric vehicle is established as second to none when standing next to internal combustion engines.

Fossil fuel will never go away while all electric vehicles are making headway to change perceptions. Perceptions are scaring dealers tied to profitable maintenance services where evs have near zero maintenance. Repair shops are also affected as evs spread with near zero maintenance. While the repair rates of evs are new and not enough to develop a new business paradigm, it would appear suspension parts remains more or less the same as far as wear and tear. The electronics is a whole new affair requiring much more education for the average repair person. I'm not privy to inside info about Tesla diagnosing and troubleshooting with electronics but its very sophisticated. Whether there's similarity to EFI systems and OBD II diagnostics for evs having similar on board diagnostics remains to be seen. I don't know if there are online forums dealing with diyers attempting home repairs to avoid Tesla services. A hint of youtubers seems to share tips amongst Tesla owners.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote