View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: getting a duplicate key made for 2001 Saturn SC2

Cutting a new key by copying an existing key is certainly feasible but keep in mind that it will not be as good quality as a key cut from VIN which would be the same as the original key.

Any locksmith, hardware store and perhaps specialty mall kiosks will be able to do it for less than $5. If your existing key is worn I'd discourage you from going this route. You'll likely find the new key to not work as smoothly. Perhaps Menard's knows this and that is why they wouldn't cut a key.

Cutting a key from VIN will cost you around $10-$15 at a GM dealer. I suppose if you want to supply your own blank without the plastic; they would likely cut it for you. You'd have to obtain the blank from the locksmith or hardware store as I don't believe the dealer would have them.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote