View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Auction car woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolUsername View Post
I got a quote from the shop I used to work at. They said a little over four hours of labor to replace the cradle, so $350. $300 for the cradle itself off of eBay. I'm hoping I can sell the car for $1800 and I'm $700 deep. What are the chances I can replace brake lines, calipers, pads and rotors for $500?

I just hate the see this car get scrapped for this stupid reason. If I can save her I will!
Using the lowest cost, but respectable parts brands, and excluding core charges and shipping costs for two rear rotors and two loaded reman. calipers (pads included) from RockAuto.com the base purchase price can be as low as $156.00.

Unless you intend to find brake lines from a wrecking yard, aftermarket bendable steel lines are inexpensive. Call around first and ask if stores near you have these steel brake lines. It's becoming a bit more rare for stores to stock these items. (We always had them at my father's auto parts store). You need to have the correct size fittings on them so you'd need to be able to match them with a sample from your car. A tubing bender tool might be required, and perhaps one could be loaned from an AutoZone, O'Reilly's, or some other store. If a purchase is necessary then they're not expensive. In any event, your basic parts costs should still be at, or under $200.00 including the replacement steel brake lines. If you can do the labor yourself then you've helped your "cause" out a bit more. You'd probably need two bottles of brake fluid just to be sure you've got enough on hand. The place with the least expensive price for that is Wal-Mart, generally.

Depending on the condition of the cores it's possible that they may be rejected as not rebuildable. A sheet listing the reasons for core rejections can sometimes be found in the boxes the replacement parts have been shipped in. Core costs for the AC Delco calipers I looked at were $30.00 each.

In short, yes, I believe that you should be able to replace the rear brake parts for $500.00 by making prudent decisions regarding the parts purchases.

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote