View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #18
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: subtle "rod knock" like sound, but the pattern is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Do not fill above 1/2 way up on the crosshatch cold.

Get a mechanics stethoscope and start probing around and locate the loudest points.

There is nothing that is supposed to sound like that so finding the exact area is critical to guessing what it is. http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html

It might be a rather worn thrust bearing bouncing on the pressure plate fingers, how old is the clutch?
I had considered the throw out bearing. My clutch is pretty worn. I usually get around 100k on a clutch with combined city stop and go plus highway miles. This clutch has only around 60k on it, but it's got a huge amount of stop and go. (60k miles over around 11 years of daily use, including an annual parade where I drive for over an hour and never get out if first gear.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 188,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote