View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Oil drain plug gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Interesting, how come, in over 50 years of car maintenance, and a whole lot of 3k oil changes, so how come I have never had any oil pan gasket disintegrate and I haven't ever replaced those gaskets?
Mine always seal tight and don't leak.
What's all the fuss about replacing them like every other oil change??
Do you truly find this is a real problem, and needs this extra attention?
I never have.
Owned probably 20+ cars and trucks, one has 331K on a vortec 350, and I consistently drive about 30k per year....so conservatively have well over a million miles on my driving record and no gasket issues. Ford, Dodge, Chevy's, Audi, Fiat, MGA.....
A few have copper crush washers and last a good long time IF NOT OVER TORQUED. The nylon and rubber have a very definite service life and the nylon will outlast the rubber ones. You would be surprised just how many of the supposed leak tight drain plugs are leaking as the car runs down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote