Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #22
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL
Default Re: Rotella T Engine Oil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97coupe View Post
I am not so sure that droplets like that is a sign of a good oil. It tends to suggest is has a high surface tension and does not easily coat some surfaces. I like the see a oil the will coat everything well.
I believe the reason the droplets spin around in the funnel like that is because certain surfactant portions of the mixture have crept around the surface of the funnel and coated it, like they are supposed to do to the wetted surfaces of the engine. The oil coalesces to itself in a droplet in the funnel (or in a layer in the engine). These layers of metal - surfactant - oil - surfactant - metal slide past each other with very little friction. This is one of the principles of synthetic oil.

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

The above link is from their website. Obviously independent tests are preferable, and they have an independent test summary page.

One of their biggest claims is higher film strength which increases HP by reducing blow-by.

Also, my engine seems to be running smoother now, but I can't objectively separate the variables since I started adding 3.5 oz of acetone per fill-up (increases octane rating) at the same time I switched to Royal Purple.

I'm all about making the engine run as smoothly as possible, since vibration is a significant failure mode for many automotive parts.

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote