Thread: Overall opinion
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #15
HawaiianGekko
HawaiianGekko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaseball
Don't just consider the monthly payment. If you already have 1-2 years into the SC, then even with a lowering of your monthly payment you'll start that payment cycle over again and add on 12-24+ more payments.

Your SC has already gone through the massive depreciation, so if you buy a new Ion it will also immediately go through another massive depreciation, so you could very well be upside down on the loan, while enduring two massive depreciations in short order.

Only if you LOVE the Ion, you get an incredible tradein, and they throw in stuff for free, and you think it does make financial sense would I make the change.

You'll probably be far better off keeping the SC and seeing if GM makes massive improvements to Saturn like they keep promising.

Besides, you live in paradise, and it isn't like you can take some massive road trip accross the country or up into Canada or down into Mexico.
All of these are very excellent points. But the lure of a shiny new Saturn still calls to me. To be honest, I am not one of those people that concerns themselves with the depreciation aspects of new cars (I know I should, but what can I say, I am a live in the moment kind of person). If I were to buy the car, I would buy it because it would make me happy (shiny, red, new car.....). Car payments, schmar payments. Fortunately for me, I make enough money that I can afford this kind of attitude, mind you, I can't afford this kind of attitude for, say, a Jaguar, but for a Saturn, I can have a *do what makes you happy* attitude.

And I am in total agreement about loving it, trade ins, etc. I am only willing to do this if all my *demands* are met. I am not really in the market for a new car, so I am only considering it if everything falls into place.

That was a very babbly post. Thanks for the excellent advice, guys. I will let you know how it turns out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HawaiianGekko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HawaiianGekko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!