View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #8
schleprock
schleprock is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: overheating SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I gotta ask... If it isn't losing coolant, why do you think it is overheating? The dash gauge is far from being a precision instrument. Are you using live-data or an actual thermometer in the coolant? What actual temps (in F or C) are you reading?
I only have the dashboard temperature sensor so nothing else confirms the heat.

I think it gets hot when I sit in traffic because the fan is not coming on. As soon as I pick up speed to about 15mph the engine goes back to normal levels of heat.

Normally my SL1 1996 heat gauge shows between 1/4 and 1/2 (but closer to 1/2). If it goes over 1/2 something is not working right but it is still OK. Sitting or barely moving in traffic it goes up to 3/4 or even a little above. That is too hot and I think it is because the fan won't turn on when the car is going to slow to cool itself off.

Is that reasoning not right? I dont know, I am not very mechanically inclined.

As I have a new heat sensor, and my fan works (I saw it in action when I turned on the A/C) I was wondering if it could be the relay.

Thanks everyone for helping with this. I really don't know a lot about cars.

Last edited by schleprock; 02-17-2017 at 10:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schleprock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schleprock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote